Thursday, July 27, 2017

2017 Motorcycle Adventure to Alaska (Day twenty six)

I really hate to do this in a blog but I have to vent a little. Last night was what I could title, “The Sleep from Hell”. Now that I have your attention I will explain as simply as possible.
My camp site was situated in an RV Park, with a mix of cabins, tents and RV’s. My camper was set between two cabins and initially seemed like a perfect location. It didn’t come with an electrical hookup so I used my little 1000W Honda portable generator which is the quietest model in the industry. At 10:00 pm I shut it off out of respect for my neighbours. I read for awhile, put in my earplugs and turned out my lantern. Shortly after that a whole gang of twenty somethings came out of one of the cabins, lit a bonfire and started to party. I was initially a little annoyed but then I thought that they are on vacation, just having a fun time on a Tuesday night so I lay there and tried to calm my brain. I was drifting in and out of sleep waking when some woman’s laughter exceeded the normal decibel range. After an hour or so I must have drifted off because I was wakened again at 1:45 am and things had gotten progressively louder. I had been patient enough so I unzipped one of my windows and got their attention and asked them to notch it down a bit as I was trying to sleep. Fortunately they did quiet down without a fuss and by 2:00 am the party was done. I only wished I’d said something earlier but then I realized that they probably wouldn’t have been so understanding just after they got the party started.
Anyway, I’m very tired now and plan an early bedtime because my new campsite is very quiet for now.
My ride to Thunder Bay, about 475 kms., was very uneventful. The weather was warm but comfortable and although there were times when the clouds looked a bit ominous there was never any rain and by the late afternoon it was nothing but pure sunshine. It just occurred to me that I listen to music a lot while riding which is another reason I don't have a lot of "deep thoughts".
Just after reaching Thunder Bay I noticed a memorial scenic overlook erected in the name of Terry Fox. Terry was diagnosed with bone cancer at age 18 and lost most of one leg from the disease. He wanted to raise awareness and money for Cancer and decided to run across Canada
Terry began his Marathon of Hope on April 12, 1980 in St. John's, Newfoundland.  On September 1, after 143 days and 5,373 kilometres (3,339 miles), Terry was forced to stop running outside of Thunder Bay, Ontario because cancer had appeared in his lungs. An entire nation was stunned and saddened. Terry passed away on June 28, 1981 at the age 22.


From this lookout I got a few good shots of an island that is called the “Sleeping Giant”.




Tomorrow I plan to ride to Sault Ste. Marie.

No comments:

Post a Comment