Monday, July 24, 2017

2017 Motorcycle Adventure to Alaska (Day twenty three)

Waking up in a different place every day might bother some but with the exception of the two nights I spent with Bob in Canmore that’s what my experience has been.
It looked like a nice day but some hazy clouds came in from the west which was a blessing as it was really starting to heat up.
Once I had left Elk Island, Alberta there’s not a whole lot of things going on to distract me so it was just put the pedal to the metal and keep an eye out for something interesting.
Here’s a shot I took just as I was leaving the campground. I promised some Canola pics so this is the best of the day.

  
Like most major cities, Saskatoon has a loop or circle road that allows you to get past the city without dealing with the traffic. Being a Sunday it wasn’t busy at all and I had no problems getting on down the road. By this point I had ridden out of the clouds and into the blistering prairie heat. My dash thermometer registered 34C (93F) and by late afternoon it had climbed another few degrees. I had taken off my jacket by the first gas stop and rode much of the day with a t-shirt to stay a bit cooler. I had slathered my bare arms with 60 FPS sunscreen but after two hours I was getting concerned about frying my arms. I stopped for a little hydration and put on my “bug shirt” with nothing under it. It’s white cotton and has big netting panels down each side so lots of flow through ventilation.
I know I said that I wasn’t going to push myself but with seemingly endless miles of nothing and very few campgrounds I just kept riding and logged 650 kms. (403 miles) by days end.
I finally found a spot in the tiny town of Davidson, Saskatchewan somewhere between Saskatoon and Regina.
As I entered the town I noticed a little town park and the “world’s biggest teapot and cup” so naturally I had to take a photo.




The campground is right next to the freeway but I have some really good ear plugs so no problem. Sunday night traffic should ease up so I only have the big transport trucks to listen to.
Sweet dreams all and thanks for reading. 








1 comment:

  1. Looks like a fun trip! Planning a camping trip for my 65th (North Rim and Zion) and it got me wondering where you were adventuring to this summer! Happy 70th! Cara

    ReplyDelete