Saturday, July 22, 2017

2017 Motorcycle Adventure to Alaska (Day twenty two)

Well, I apparently didn't quite sleep like a baby last night because I only rode 72 kms. today and I was starting to nod out.
True to my word I had decided yesterday to take a slower relaxed pace on the balance of my return home.
I didn't get going until 10:30 am and stopped three times, once for coffee, once for gas and once just to take a break.
It's funny but it seemed like a much longer ride. I did have a long chat with a couple on a Harley outside Tim Hortons where I was getting some coffee. They were headed into Edmonton to do some shopping.
At the rest stop I saw a guy sitting on a little folding chair next to his bike, head leaned back against the seat and he was sound asleep. I tried reclining on my bike which wasn't that comfortable and after a while the guy woke up and we spoke for some time. He was coming from Alaska, where he lives, and traveling down to the big annual bike rally in Sturgis, SD. We swapped stories because I was there for last year's rally on my way to Mount Rushmore.
After taking the loop highway that skirts around Edmonton I started my daily search for a campground nearby. Just 45 minutes out of Edmonton I found Elk Island National Park but it's Saturday night in July and they were full. The attendant suggested a small private campground back a few kilometres towards Edmonton. I pulled into this very nice campsite but they too were full. I guess the woman must have felt sorry for me because she looked at the size of my camper and said she had a small spot (too small for an RV) with water, electricity, picnic table, fire pit and free wifi all for just $15. Needless to say I grabbed it.
Right now it's 7:00 pm. It's a lovely warm sunny evening and I'm typing my blog while enjoying a refreshing vodka tonic.
I didn't see anything worth photographing today but perhaps tomorrow I will get another shot of those incredible Canola fields for you.

1 comment: